The Appearance Menus Screen enables you to create a custom menu in place of a theme’s default menu.
Followings are the details steps to create a Menu in WordPress:-
1. Defying a menu name:
You need to define a menu name before you can add items to it.
- From the ‘Appearance’ menu on the left-hand side of the Dashboard, select the ‘Menus’ option to bring up the Menu Editor.
- Select Create a new menu at the top of the page
- Enter a name for your new menu in the Menu Name box
- Click the Create Menu
Your new custom menu has now been defined.
Adding Items to a Menu:
After a menu is created, the menu items can be added to the menu. Choose items like custom links, pages, and categories, from the left column to add to the menu. Your custom post types or custom taxonomies can be added to menus. If you don’t see your custom post types or taxonomies, look under the Screen Options to make sure they are checked to be Show on Screen.
You can add different link types to your menu, these are split between panes left of the menu you’re currently editing.
- Select the Pages that you want to add by clicking the checkbox next to each Page’s title.
- Click the Add to Menu button located at the bottom of this pane to add your selection(s) to the menu that you created in the previous step.
- Click the Save Menu button once you’ve added all the menu items you want.
Your custom menu has now been saved.
After items have been added to a menu, drag and drop to put them in the order you want. You can also click each item to reveal additional configuration options. You can also drag a menu item a little to the right to make it a submenu, to create menus with hierarchy. When you have finished building your custom menu, make sure you click the Save Menu button.
Deleting a Menu Item
- Locate the menu item that you want to remove in the menu editor window
- Click on the arrow icon in the top right-hand corner of the menu item/box to expand it.
- Click on the Remove The menu item/box will be immediately removed.
- Click the Save Menubutton to save your changes.